Friday, May 7, 2010

My first Ottobre: Harebell Dress

I finally ordered an issue of Ottobre! I first learned of the Finnish magazine with children's sewing patterns a few years ago, but never got around to ordering one. I was anxious to get some cute little boys clothing patterns, and this issue is especially boy happy! Don't ask me why the first thing I made was a dress for Little Man's twin sister. She needs another dress like I need a another yard of fabric...



I made the Harebell dress ... what the heck is a harebell? It's a flower, more commonly referred to as a bluebell in the States. I digress... I love this dress soooo much! It is so cute, went together beautifully and, if I do say so myself, looks RTW! Okay, on to the dress...

If you've never seen an Ottobre in real life, it can be a tad daunting. Okay, a lot daunting. Gorgeous pictures of cute kids in even cuter outfits and patterns for all of the clothing in a pull-out section in the middle. The pattern pages look like blueprints for the Golden Gate Bridge - millions of lines in all different colors overlapping each other, along with numbers and words written all over. In Finnish. Yeah. Each pattern coordinates to a particular color, and luckily, it's really not that difficult to focus on one particular color when tracing the patterns. My husband was pretty impressed when he saw what I was doing last night. Until he realized I was making yet another dress...


One note about tracing patterns... of course it's necessary for Ottobre, but regarding other patterns, I held out for a long time on this step. And, I still don't always do it... especially when I'm using a pattern from one of the major pattern companies and I paid .99 for it at Joann's. But, when I'm sewing a pattern from a European company like Farbenmix, or a pricier pattern like Modkid or Portabello Pixie, I always trace the pattern so I can use it for several sizes. Anyway, I use and love pattern paper from Joann's. It's behind the cutting counter along with the interfacings. It's less than $2/yard and it's super-wide, so really a terrific bargain. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Swedish Tracing Paper, or STP, but I've never tried it because it's only available online where I live. I think this is probably pretty similar and comparable in price. It's like a lightweight woven interfacing, so it's flexible, see-through and easy to trace, cut and pin.


Ottobre patterns don't include seam allowances, so I added those after I traced the pieces. I flubbed up on the yoke because I didn't realize that it was cut on the fold and I added seam allowances to that part... I figured it out before I sewed it, but I had to re-cut that piece. It still didn't fit right after it was sewn, so I'm not sure what I did wrong there, but I trimmed the overhanging fabric and it was fine. I'm sure it was a problem with my tracing.

The dress fastens with an invisible zipper - practically the only kind of zipper I use since I started making Barcelona skirts. I think it still needs a hook and eye, since there's a little gap at the top... I'll add that tonight after petunia is sleeping. (That's not her real name ... just a fitting moniker ... oh, I'm a little petunia in an onion patch ....


My favorite part of the pattern is the facings for the neckline and the armholes. I'm so used to doing bias binding, that I almost finished them that way, but I think this way looks so much better with the style of the dress. Love the sleeveless design that still covers all of her shoulders. I would probably add about an inch to the hemline, because I like to make her dresses a little longer in case she hits a growth spurt.

Here's the finished result! For the 98 cm size, I used less than 5/8" yard of pink gingham and the Amy Butler Midwest Modern (one of my all-time favorite prints) was scraps left over from another project. About four hours work, including tracing time, a break for lunch, and an emergency hunt for a missing dinosaur.


So, my very first Ottobre, but certainly not my last! I swear I'm going to make an outfit for the boy next!

2 comments:

  1. This was my first Ottobre project too. I found it to be challenging for me, but I am still fairly new at sewing. My biggest dilemma was the point in the front center. Mine is not very big. Not sure what happened but it barely shows.
    Yours looks fantastic. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was most worried about that center point, too! If you get a chance, the Plum Tree is much easier and really cute!

    ReplyDelete