Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'll Have One of Everything Bag



"I'll Have One of Everything" Bag

My husband and kids gave me Anna Maria Horner's book, "Seams to Me," for Mother's Day and I'm really enjoying it. I like her style of writing and her patterns are very easy to follow and simple in their design. As soon as I started paging through it, I knew the first thing I would make would be the "I'll Have One of Everything Bag."


or, "How Many Echino Fabrics Can Fit On One Bag" Bag

I've been holding on to a lot of these Japanese import fabrics for some time. Most are leftovers from other projects, and like the good little fabric hoarder I am, I hold onto every last scrap. I have a serious problem with this as I have bins in my sewing room specifically devoted to small scraps of fabric that have no useful purpose... well, no useful purpose until a gem of a pattern like this comes along!






sweet little dove


It's about time they've been rescued from the fabric bin and put to good use! There are also a few gorgeous prints by Daisy Janie, a Heather Ross linen from her Kokka collection, and some Gunilla from Ikea for good measure. Later, I decided it needed a little pop, so I made a tattered flower using this tute, and pinned it on near the handle. I used a voile from Little Folks, my nod to Anna Maria. The voile makes the prettiest, softest flowers.


soft voile tattered flower


The pattern was very straight-forward and the bag went together fairly easily with no problems. The only changes I made were to skip the interfacing since I was using heavier home-dec and linen blends for the piecing. Also, the braided strap is made from three strips instead of six. The lining is a light gray brushed canvas. I love the drawstring for the handle and I think it would be great on an apron as well.

I love how the bag looks ... not sure how it will function. While the bag itself is fairly large and has lots of space, the opening is pretty small and therefore I can foresee problems when I need to find something quickly. Of course, the smaller opening also means the contents won't have a chance to scatter if I drop it!




black hole

No comments:

Post a Comment