Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Little Folks Summer Tunic



I know I keep raving about Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks Voile ... and with good reason! It's so soft and lovely and the colors are stunning. My 8-year-old daughter (newly 8 - still can't believe it!) requested a summer top and picked out the two coordinating LF prints for it.

She has a tendency to ask me to make things for her, (even going so far as to pick out the pattern and fabrics) and then never wearing it... so, naturally, I was hesitant. I mean, this is Little Folks Voile! Sacred. But, I succumbed and crafted the top last night after bedtime. When she woke up this morning, it was finished and she was ecstatic! Over the moon happy! She really, really loves it. Phew! She's planning a second one already.


See how happy?

The pattern is McCalls M6065, view A. I picked up a bunch of the new McCall's patterns at a recent $1.99 sale and I've been very happy with them. I recently made M5615 for little sister and I love the end result. Again, no zippers, snaps or buttons on this design and it went together very easily. Also again, I had to slipstitch the yoke facing (pink cotton lawn)... not too tough, but I'm not sure it was completely necessary. It does look very nice, though... and since the voile is so light, I think the hand-stitching adds a delicate finish.

budding model - look at that pose!


The yoke is Four Square in Berry. It's slightly longer in the back with a graceful curve in the front.

The skirt, Village Path in Berry (love this!), is gathered in the center front and back. The voile is perfect for the flowing nature of this top and my daughter loves how it feels. She is very sensitive about tight things on her torso, so this design is perfect for her - no elastic or tight spots to feel constricting.

2 comments: