Monday, May 10, 2010

Emmeline Apron: My Mother's Day gift to me!



This is my favorite apron pattern ever! It's the Emmeline Apron by Sew Liberated. So feminine and flattering - it almost feels like I'm wearing a beautiful dress. I've sewn it three or four times for friends and family, but never for myself. Until now! I finished it late Saturday night as a Mother's Day gift to myself... actually, the uninterrupted sewing time was a gift from my incredible husband.

I made a few changes, specifically, I made it non-reversible. Might be a little too optimistic that I won't need a reversible apron from spills and messes in the kitchen, but it's heavy home dec canvas, and I was afraid it would be too bulky if I made it reversible. The fabric is from the County Fair line by Denyse Schmidt - which is similar to her Flea Market Fancy line - one of my all-time favorites.


The pattern instructs the sewer to bias bind the bodice with the neck strap fabric, but since I hemmed the entire apron, I just attached the neck straps to the top of the apron with a zig-zig stitch. The side straps, which are normally sandwiched between the two sides, were also attached with a zig-zag stitch. I serged all of my raw edges so that it's neat on the inside.

I see myself wearing this apron daily ... while making dinner, giving the twins a bath, or when I just want to feel pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment